Being a mum of a toddler, I always have to be on my toes to keep her safe and secure. The problem isn’t just humans but also the dreaded mosquitoes. The worst part about mosquitoes is that there is no permanent solution to get rid of them forever and that makes my job all the more difficult. But then, I need to have solutions that last long.
To start with, chemical sprays and repellents have always been a strict ‘No’ at my home. These chemical loaded mosquito repellents aren’t just bad for us humans but also for my little lab who hates the smell and feel. So, my first aid always has been the Mosquito racket. It is like my sword. No wonder, my mother-in-law often quips that ‘here comes our Jhansi ki Rani.’
These mosquito killer rackets are not just effective but also safe for everyone. However, they cannot be a permanent solution since carrying a racket at all times is not feasible. To keep ourselves and our family safe from the mosquito menace, one has to adopt a multi-pronged approach.
So, after a lot of research and experimentation, I zeroed upon the following tricks and products that work well for my family against mosquitoes without jeopardizing their health.
- Dhooni: This is the ‘Nani ka nuskha’ that has been coming to us since generations. Burning the dry peel of coconut shell is perhaps the most natural yet effective way of keeping any kind of insects at bay including mosquitoes.
- Essential oils: Essential oils like Neem and Eucalyptus also work wonders in warding off mosquitoes naturally. With antiseptic and mosquito-repelling properties, they are quite useful to keep mosquito-borne tropical diseases at bay. And what better than having the goodness of these oils in a handy product from a brand that you trust? The Goodknight Fabric Roll-On is 100% natural and made using these oils. Just 4 dots on clothes when you step outdoors to save yourself from getting bitten. It is paediatrician certified and absolutely safe for kids and babies. The 4 dots are to be applied on clothes for babies above the age of 2 months. For babies younger than that, the 4 dots can be applied on cots and prams.
- Coils: My mother and my mother-in-law swear by this oldest page in the book of mosquito repellents thanks to the Goodknight Activ+ Low Smoke coil! As the name suggests, this coil protects your family without emitting much smoke. Just light one and place it under the cot, to ensure 12 hours of protection.
- Patches: Just like the Fabric-Roll-On, Goodknight Patches too come handy when kids play outdoors. Thanks to their new Chhota Bheem designs, my daughter herself reminds me to apply one on her before she steps out to play.
- Liquid Vapourizers: The ultimate mosquito repellent for indoor mosquito protection has to be Goodknight Activ+ System. This liquid vaporizer comes with a dual mode advantage. One can switch to the 2x power mode when there are too many mosquitoes.
All these tricks and products have helped me prevent the mosquito-menace at home to a great extent. You can find more such tips about parenting from other parenting blogs Ridiculous as well. Along with these, ensure that there is no stagnant water in and around your house. For your indoor-garden, planting tulsi, mint, marigold, lemon or neem will ensure that you have greens without the mosquitoes.